[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: HTTP "Referer" field considered harmful

Goran Oberg writes:

> To omit everything after a question mark would not solve the problem. It
> could give a false sense of security and that's something I think we
> should try to stay clear of.
>
> In the case of SATAN it wouldn't do any good as SATAN URLs are in the
> form
> http://<localhost>:<unknown_high_port_number>/<unknown_magic_cookie>/<path>
> and would be revealed all the same. So anyone running SATAN using the
> WWW- interface shouldn't connect to other servers in the midst of a
> SATAN-session.

  If its not using a form with method=get all the time, then you are right,
my solution wouldn't fix the problem.

  This is what session-ID's/cookies will be good at solving.  There is a
good discussion going on in www-talk about just this topic if anyone cares
to drop in.

> PS.  s/SATAN/SANTA/g if ( $OFFENDED );    (-:

 heh.  What if santa offends me too?  s/SANTA/NASTA/g ? :)

-Bill P.